|ISE Cultural Foundation
New York, NY 10012
|Guideline: Program for Emerging Curators
Extended to Tuesday, April 30th for Exhibition in the Spring season of the following year
August 31st for Exhibition in the Fall season of the following year
PEC (Program for Emerging Curators) is an opportunity for emerging curators to undertake the challenge of presenting a show in a non-profit art gallery in New York. The Ise Cultural Foundation gallery will select proposals submitted by curators. Curators selected through the program will present their exhibit in the ISE Cultural Foundation gallery space in SOHO.
*The length of exhibition at the gallery in SOHO, NY is for 5-6 weeks.
*The size of the gallery is approximately 2000 SQ/FT.
*Grant of $1,000.00 per exhibition.
*We do not accept the proposal by email.
How to Apply
Please submit following information by SNAIL MAIL.
1. Exhibition Statement/concept (no more than 300 words)
2. Curator(s) Resume with street address on (please write "Curator" on the resume)
3. Artist(s) Resume
4. Artist statements (no more than 300 words each)
5. List of all equipment for your exhibition, DVD player, projector, etc. Also tell us how to get them, such as, from friend, rental, etc. *ISE does not provide equipment for exhibition.
6. Grant Proposal (Please submit the list of expenses/budget of your PEC exhibition)
7. Floor Plan & Window Plan (Please download the layouts)
8. Artwork images (only images of exhibit artworks for your show. Do not send the artist's portfolio) and the caption/description of the artworks.
JPG file formats with the artist name. A description sheet should list the artist's name(s), titles, dates, media, and dimensions.
ISE Cultural Foundation will review the first three minutes of each video work. Please make a description sheet with the artist's name, title(s) of the work(s), min. of the footage.
Submit your proposal to:
ISE Cultural Foundation
Attn: PEC Program
New York, NY 10012
ISE Cultural Foundation will NOT return any submission.
The postmark of the deadline date is effective.
STEP 1 The selection process takes 30 days after each deadline and the notification will be sent approximately 40 days after the deadline. The selected proposals will be notified of the exhibition date and the grant amount.
STEP 2 The selected curators may be contacted by ISE Cultural Foundation and asked to provide further information.
* ISE Cultural Foundation will not provide an information regarding reasons for selection or exclusion.
PEC Exhibition Guideline
* The curator(s) can not chose a specific date of the exhibition.
* Your proposal will be considered as a final plan. The curator can't change the artists or artwork after the proposal is selected.
* Installation/de-installation and delivering/shipping artworks are the curator(s) and/or the artist(s)' responsibility and they have to cover any expenses for installation/de-installation and delivering/shipping.
* ISE will insure the artworks only on display in the gallery. The total insurance value of exhibited artworks must be limited $80,000.00.
* ISE is non-profit organization, thus ISE is not sales orientated. Whether the artwork(s) in the exhibition is for sale or not solely depends on the artist(s). In the event of any sales, 25% of the final price of the artwork goes to ISE as a donation.
* The grant amount is determined by each project. Also, ISE's annual budget is not always the same and the current financial situation might effect on the grant amount. This grant must be used solely for the PEC exhibition at ISE.
* A grant will be paid to the curator(s) from ISE AFTER the scheduled exhibition and de-installation are completed.
Q: I don't have any curatorial experience before. Do I have to be a professional curator to apply for PEC?
A: No previous curatorial experience is needed for PEC. ISE Cultural Foundation is always looking for new ideas, innovative exhibitions and responsible people to work with. If you have a great idea for a show, please submit!
Q: I am an artist. Can I submit a proposal including my work?
A: Anyone can submit a proposal for this open call, but we do not accept an artist curate their own artwork.
Q: I don't live in US. Can I apply for PEC?
A: Absolutely. We welcome international applicants. PEC is a great opportunity for every curator and artist to have a show in the middle of New York City, a center of the art world.
Q: How many PEC spots available per year?
A: Maximum 5 PEC shows available a year.
Q: I have been to ISE Cultural Foundation a few times and noticed there were some additional walls in certain shows. Can I construct some wall for my show?
A: Yes, you can. The wall changes the space entirely. It might make your exhibition a more dynamic one. There are a few restrictions. Otherwise you can do many things.
Q: I have a great idea for the show. But it will be very expensive and I don't think the grant of $1,000 is good enough to cover the cost. How can I find support?
A: It is very expensive to organize some shows. Previously a number of our PEC curators solved similar financial problems in various ways, such as, applying for public/private grants, asking corporations to support the exhibition and finding individual supporters to donate.
Q: I still have more questions. How can I find the answer?
A: Please contact us by email, phone call and visiting our gallery.
ISE Cultural Foundation Gallery
555 Broadway, (Between Prince St. & Spring St.)
New York, NY 10012
(212)925-1649 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Gallery Hours: Tue. - Sat./11:00AM - 6:00PM. Closed on Sun. and Mon.